Making Cards · New Products

Watercolor Backgrounds

Happy first Friday in October! I thought I would kick off this wonderful month by sharing a post on my favorite technique, watercolor backgrounds using powder pigments. As I mentioned on Monday, a friend recently sent me a set of Brusho, and I played around a bit this past weekend. I thought it would be cool to show you the cards, how I make the backgrounds, and the difference between Nuvo Shimmer Powders and the Brusho products I have. Whew, that’s a lot! Good thing it’s Friday!

The good news is that I made a video to show the difference between the two products, and how I make my backgrounds. So, this post will just be about the cards I made. Please check out the video to see the technique, and the powers in action. Unfortunately Brusho is very new to me, so I don’t have a lot of information on it.

A couple of the cards I made this week feature the Filled With Joy card kit from MFT. Sadly, the kit is sold out, as is the stamp set they were selling separately MFT will stock more, but it’s going to be a little bit. I’m not going to review the card I posted on Monday, but please click here to check it out.

This is the second card I made with the kit.

IMG_3796

I started out by stamping the large Joy from the kit as well as the supporting sentiment in Versamark ink onto Distress Watercolor cardstock and then heat embossing it with white embossing powder. Then I sprinkled Ultramarine Brusho over the panel and misted it with water. I set the panel aside to dry.

IMG_3797

Next I die cut the snowflake from the kit with MFT Silver Sparkle cardstock, and three more from Neenah Classic Crest Solar White cardstock. I layered all 4 of the snowflakes together with liquid adhesive, then added it to my card panel with more liquid adhesive. Then I added the panel to a Neenah Classic Crest Solar White card base with fun foam.

img_3786.jpg

This card features Scarlet Brusho sprinkled over the white heat embossed sentiment from Concord and 9th’s Very Merry Sentiments. The tag with the die cut tree is from Concord & 9th’s Holiday Cheer tags.

IMG_3787I blended Candied Apple Distress Oxide ink on the edges of the tag, and Lucky Clover Distress Oxide ink over the tree. The star on top of the tree was die cut from MFT’s Gold Sparkle cardstock and added with liquid adhesive. Simon Say’s Stamp’s Red Glitter cardstock is peeking out from under the tree. I added the card panel to a Neenah Classic Crest Solar White card base with fun foam.

IMG_3792

For my next card, I used the same Ultramarine Brusho and Distress Watercolor cardstock. I did some no line coloring using Polychromos pencils on the Clearly Besotted Magnificent Magnolia image. The Magnolia was added to the card panel with foam tape.

IMG_3793

I stamped the sentiment from the Clearly Besotted set with Versaclaire Nocturne ink and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I added Lucy’s Cards Blackberry gems to and a Boysenberry card base from Gina K Design’s.

IMG_3848

Last but not least, this is the card panel I showed in the video (not the one I made). I sprinkled Cherry Bomb Nuvo Shimmer Power on to Distress Watercolor cardstock and misted with water. Once it was dry, I die cut the MFT Gift Shaker window and created a shaker. The frame was cut from MFT Silver Sparkle cardstock, with the bow cut from MFT Cottom Candy Sparkle cardstock. The tags are from Concord and 9th’s Celebration set, and the sentiment itself from Concord and 9th’s Hooray Ribbon set, stamped in Gina K’s Passionate Pink. I added a mixture of different sequins to the shaker boxes.  The card base is Neenah Classic Crest Solar White Cardstock.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s