Making Cards · New Products

Christmas Card Prep Week 2- Concord and 9th Ornamental

Hello and welcome to week 2 of my card prep series. Last week I shared with you the cards and technique I used for mass producing cards using Concord and 9th’s Joyous Noel set.

This week I want to share another Concord and 9th product. I had to buy this set, even after swearing off any more new Christmas sets. Its so gorgeous, and versatile (like all Concord and 9th products).

 

The ornament stamp, as well as the die, are very large. They take up most of a card front. The ornament stamp is designed to be filled in, either with the supplemental images, or the “Merry & Bright,” sentiment.

The card above was created with only 2 stamps! I heat embossed the first ornament stamp in gold, and left the “Merry and Bright,” as just die ink (Altenew’s Ruby Red). Filling the ornament with the supplemental images takes a bit longer.

The die cute ornament is also very versatile. You can switch up the inside dies, to customize the look. And, as this too is a large image, it pretty much covers the front of an A2 sized card.

 

You could even make an ornament shaped card with just die. I have a future project for work, where we will be using the die cut ornament on it’s own, as a sort of post card.

I ended up making 15 of the card below for a friend. It was a bit tedious, but went fairly quickly.

IMG_4233

I stamped the ornament image first, with Versamark ink, and add embossing powder. I then set the card aside carefully, and continued to stamp the others. I did the heat embossing in batches of 5, which sped things up.

This is the part that killed me, I didn’t have red pigment ink. I stamped the “Merry & Bright,” with Lawn Fawn’s Lobster die ink (I stamped all 15 at once). I left my stamp in my Stamp Perfect tool, and then stamped all the cards again with Versamark ink. I added the Wow Hologram Sparkle embossing and set the cards aside until I had 5 ready. I again heat embossed in batches of 5. By the way, even though I scrubbed the stamp really well in between, I ended up with a pink Versamark ink pad :(.

Once I had the stamping done, I colored the images. It was a little bit of trial and error to figure out the best medium to color these. I actually wrecked one of the cards smearing colored pencil on it (thanks Prismacolor…). I ended up using Wink of Stella in Red, Light Green and Dark Green. Oh, and Gold for the topper.  The berries were colored with Red glitter gel pen.

I added Nuvo Glitter Drops in Ruby Slippers. My original design had Lucy’s Cards Cherry Jewels, but they make the cards lump and result in extra postage. The Nuvo Drops don’t have that high of a profile, and are a bit softer.

I really like this design, but after 15 (or 18 if you count the mistakes, I need something new.

 

Next week I’ll share with you some more mass produce cards, this time with a mix of My Favorite Things and CZ Designs.

Thanks for stopping by!

Nicole

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s